From: daniel <danstemporaryaccount@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] amd64/x86
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:30:04
1 On Thursday 23 February 2006 07:54, Boris Fersing wrote:
2 > 2006/2/23, jarry@×××.net <jarry@×××.net>:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I'm going to install Gentoo on Athlon64-based workstation,
6 > > but I'm a little confused about hardware profiles and their
7 > > compatibility:
8 > >
9 > > If I select now amd64, will I be able later to install and
10 > > use x86 software, if there is no amd64 release (for example
11 > > precompiled game-binaries, or even some sources which are
12 > > only for x86, not amd64)?
13 > >
14 > > Or do I have to use x86 installation profile?
15 >
16 > Hi,
17 >
18 > just use the amd64 default profile (the mutilib one), then you'll be
19 > able to run 32bits softwares too !
20
21 Not entirely true. When I first got my amd64 box, I did just that and was
22 horribly disappointed. While most things worked, there were a number of
23 "show stoppers" so to speak: Konqueror couldn't play flash movies because
24 while Konqueror compiled just fine as 64-bit, flash is only available in
25 32bit. If I wanted to see Flash, I had to use a binary version of Firefox.
26 Worse though was the fact that none of the win32codecs were available so I
27 couldn't watch any wmv, wma or other binary-only formats.
28
29 Sadly, if you want to be able to use stuff typically used for the Windows
30 world, you have to conform to that world's handicapps, which means making do
31 with 32bits for now.
34 It is sort of puzzling I think that you can have 100 percent certainty about
35 the weapons of mass destruction's existence, and zero certainty about where
36 they are.
37 - Hans Blix, Chief UN weapons inspector in Iraq
38 before the American occupation
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list