From: Roger Mason <rmason@×××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] coexisting GCC versions
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:07:49
1 Hello,
2
3 Roger Mason <rmason@×××.ca> writes:
4
5 > I need gcc 4.3 to compile a specific application. I am hoping that I
6 > can install gcc 4.3 alongside 4.1.1 without suffering some awful
7 > catastrophe. This is the output of emerge on the machine in question:
8
9 The compilation finally completed. It only took about 14 hours.
10
11 I followed the info presented at the end of the installation and did, as
12 root:
13
14 gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.2
15
16 and gcc-config -l now says:
17
18 garnet rmason # gcc-config -l
19 [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.1
20 [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.2
21
22 I also ran source /etc/profile, as recommended and gcc -v now reports
23 gcc-4.3.2.
24
25 However, as an ordinary user gcc -v reports:
26
27 garnet ~ $ gcc -v
28 Using built-in specs.
29 Target: i686-pc-linux-gnu
30 Configured with:
31 /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1-r3/work/gcc-4.1.1/configure (blah,
32 blah)
33
34 That is after running source /etc/profile _and_ (when that did not
35 change the reported gcc version) logging out and back in.
36
37 How do I set gcc to version 4.3.2 for an ordinary user?
38
39 Thanks,
40
41 Roger