From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Use split to break up a 10GB file binary?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:23:26
1 On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 08:25:57AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote
3 >> Hi,
4 >>    Is split an appropriate program to use to break a single 10GB file
5 >> into 100 100MB files to transfer over the net using rsync, and then
6 >> use cat to reassemble?
7 >>
8 >>    Is there some better way to do this?
9 >
10 >  That's what split was written for.  I can't think of anything better.
11 > BTW, what type of data is the 10 gig file?  If it's text, then consider
12 > using zip or bzip2 on each of the fragments before transferring.  If
13 > it's an already compressed binary format, then don't waste time
14 > attempting further compression.
15 >
16 > --
17 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
18
19 Hi Walter.
20
21 It's a Virtualbox VM exported from virtualbox-4.0.8. It consumes about
22 40GB on disk, compressed by Virtualbox to about 10GB by their 'Export
23 Appliance' feature.
24
25 I actually did try compressing the exported 10GB file with gzip &
26 bzip2 before splitting it. None of those provided any compression. I
27 didn't try the spilt outputs as I figured they are just binary chunks
28 and wouldn't compress either.
29
30 Thanks for the info.
31