From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: evince - Error printing to PDF
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 15:26:44
1 On 18/04/2013 14:34, Hartmut Figge wrote:
2 > Stroller:
3 >> On 18 April 2013, at 02:12, Joseph wrote:
4 >
5 >>> I have uninstalled cups-pdf and when I go any program "print" there is still option: "Print to file" except that now 'Save to folder" by default is empty field, before if I remember was a user home directory.
6 >>
7 >> Well, I would have assumed that cups-pdf would be necessary for printing to PDF, but I would like to see a screenshot of this "default empty field".
8 >
9 > I have not installed cups-pdf and don't use evince for printing. But i
10 > have tested the problem. After pressing File->Print... this window opens
11 >
12 > http://www.triffids.de/pub/screenshot/ev130418.png
13 >
14 > Pressing 'Print' in this window results in the the error window unless
15 > the field 'Name:' with the prefilled value output.pdf is deleted and
16 > manually replaced by e.g. output.pdf. *g*
20 The console error is regarding invalid UTF-8 strings in filenames.
21
22 I'm betting the cause is idiotic filename munging by evince or one of
23 the lower libraries involved, which makes it a bug.
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com