From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo system suddenly failed to boot.
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 11:50:46
1 ср, 17 февр. 2021 г. в 04:54, Edward <edwardmgibson01@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 > On 2/15/21 9:53 AM, gevisz wrote:
4 > > Yesterday, my relatively new install of Gentoo failed to boot with the
5 > > following repeated messages:
6 > >
7 > > ata5.04: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 0)
8 > > ata5.04: hard resetting link
9 > > ata5.04: failed to resume link (SStatus 0 Scontrol 0)
10 > >
11 > > My first thought was that something is wrong with my old IDE (ATA)
12 > > drive. (The Gentoo system partition was on /dev/sda5.)
13 >
14 > What motherboard model is this?
15
16 It is a good question. My motherboard is Gigabyte Ultra Durable GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
17 and I had problems with it from the very beginning in the sense that it is
18 quite often doesn't see my SATA disks on the first boot (though, on the second
19 reboot it usually finds them). It is also quite often that it stops booting
20 the legacy operating system and automatically reboots before showing
21 a login screen.
22
23 I bought it somewhere in 2006 together with a Gigabyte S-series GA-MA69GM-S2H
24 motherboard, which I have been intensively using every day since then and never
25 had any problem.
26
27 In contrast, the Ultra Durable one has been used very rarely and for
28 quite short periods of time.
29 So, I do not expect it to wear off by now.
30
31 > Probably BIOS disk controller setting needs to be set to either SATA AHCI or something else?
32
33 Well, I will look into but the problem is that it worked previously
34 with the same BIOS settings.
35
36 Below is an account of what I have done so far.
37
38 First of all, I copied the system partition from my ATA to the SATA
39 drive, updated the system,
40 recompiled @system, openrc and gentoo-kernel, which unfortunately had
41 no effect on the booting problem.
42
43 At this stage, I started to seriously consider the suggestions above
44 that it may be a hardware problem.
45
46 So, I returned to the initial ATA system partition, updated the system
47 there, switched off swap (in fstab),
48 reinstalled grub on this disk and tried to boot from it. To my great
49 surprise it failed to boot again
50 complaining about links to two my SATA drives that it was not supposed
51 to use at all!
52
53 Of course, in this case, I have not reinstalled gentoo-kernel. So, may
54 be, the links to my SATA drives
55 are in the initramfs that still contains links to one of the other
56 SATA drive. (Its swap was there.)
57
58 However, I used another SATA drive to try the system from there.
59
60 And the legacy operating system has absolutely no problem starting
61 from the ATA drive now.