From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nx / nxclient - replacement
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 15:55:46
1 On 02/06/2017 01:55 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 02/06/2017 08:53:19 AM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> Are there any good replacement for "nx / nxclient" in Linux?
4 >> NX is long time gone from portage. I hope, I can still install them
5 >> from atic.
6 >> This was another reason I wasn't upgrading for a long time as I need
7 >> them to access remote boxes in GUI.
10 > I have net-misc/x2goclient (and net-misc/x2goserver) installed.
11 > But I think, x2goserver has to be installed on the remote system.
15 Yes, x2goserver needs to be installed on the remote system. But I do
16 believe you need something installed on the remote system to listen for
17 nx/vnc requests anyway.
18
19 I switched to x2goserver/x2goclient maybe two years ago from
20 xvnc/tigervnc as it was getting to be a real chore to install again
21 xorg-x11 at the time.
22
23 It has some benefits, one of them being it spawns a new session when you
24 log in, like Terminal Server/Remote Desktop Services on Windows -
25 meaning you don't attach to an existing user that's logged on.
26
27 It also has some downsides. As in not all desktops are fully supported.
28 I had to switch to MATE on the server for reliability issues. KDE5 is
29 not supported, as an example. They do support other desktops besides
30 MATE, it's just the one I stuck with. It does, however, feel
31 back-asswards compared to KDE, as a primarily KDE-user.
32
33 Dan