From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge latest in a certain version series of a package
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 22:03:34
1 on 01/30/2014 11:04 PM James wrote the following:
2 > Peter Humphrey <peter <at> prh.myzen.co.uk> writes:
5 >>> Maybe you chose unwisely?............(get ATI next time) unless
8 >> I've used nVidia cards for many years. When I bought my first one
9 >> (maybe 20 years ago) ATI support in Linux was woeful, and the doggerel
10 >> had it that the hardware was less competent too, so I chose nVidia.
11 >>
12 >> Since then I've seen more cries for help on this list from ATI
13 >> owners than nVidia, so it's not clear to me which is the better choice
14 >> these days. > Since I don't do bigotry my choice is on technical grounds,
15 >> and I don't > need hardware 3D acceleration. So the jury's still out as
16 >> far as I'm concerned. Well, maybe CUDA might ramp up my contribution
17 >> rate to BOINC projects a bit. Again, no obvious winner.
18 >
19 > I agree with all you have said. However Nvidia's policies, not their
20 > hardware, is the problem, hence the degraded comment on their reputation.
21 > A company may struggle with the latest, robust hardware, but they
22 > do not have to behave as "jerks". Nvidia's lack of copperation with
23 > their old hardware, puts them in the "jerks" column in my mindset.
24 > Even cisco provides full and complete sources, (from russia with love!).
25 >
26 > The person is using old hardware, and for a very long time, ATI has
27 > been the better choice for folks using old (video) hardware. He's not
28 > pushing the limits of performance; he just wants (needs?) a video card with
29 > an open source solution. I like to (stongly) suggest to folks to
30 > use their "checkbook" to influence the behavior of vendors, ymmv.
31 >
32 > Folks with low_dollars are almost aways better off with ATI, particualar
33 > if they intend to run 'vintage video hardware', imho.
36 James, I agree with you in general about supporting "open source
37 friendly vendors", but in this case, I would agree with Peter, because I
38 find that Nvidia although not so "open" as ATI, has been better
39 supporting (quicker to release drivers) for its newer cards than ATI does.
40
41 On the other hand, the old system I was talking about, is an Athlon 754
42 socket, with an NVIDIA G71 [GeForce 7800 GS] (rev a2) card.
43 I believe this card can use up the system's AGP bus (and the CPU) to its
44 limits, so I don't feel I should bother to change the card to an ATI
45 one, since I wouldn't gain any performance, except perhaps, for a
46 "radeon" driver in the kernel, which I doubt would perform as well as
47 the Nvidia's one.
48
49 Anyway, this Nvidia-vs-ATI discussion is going OT in the current thread.
50 And I think that we can close the current thread here.
51 Thanks to all for your help :)