From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] booting to grub prompt, but config works
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 21:52:43
1 On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 9 May 2008 21:50:09 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
3 >
4 >> Check for /boot/grub/menu.lst, this is an alternate (and maybe empty)
5 >> config file which grub seems to prefer over grub.conf.
6 >
7 > menu.lst has been the preferred config file for some years, it seem that
8 > GRUB is a little more strict about this nowadays.
11 I tried to read the ebuild but failed.
12
13 In my case I am sure that I was out of order WRT the way the quick
14 install guide says to build the system - first emerge grub, make
15 grub.conf, and then install grub. I was thinking I'd get the grub.conf
16 file from another system so I didn't bother doing it. After this
17 happened - and thanks for your help finding the solution - I started
18 wondering if the grub install or even the emerge of grub creates the
19 link when grub.conf is there but if it isn't there then there's
20 nothing to link to so we end up like my system last evening.
21
22 Anyway, just my guess since I know for a fact I didn't have a
23 grub.conf file when I did the emerge.
24
25 - Mark
26 --
27 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list