From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple Gentoo systems
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 21:04:12
1 On 7/7/2011 1:37 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 07 July 2011 11:23:15 kashani did opine thusly:
3 >> On 7/2/2011 3:14 PM, Grant wrote:
4 >>> After a frustrating experience with a Linksys WRT54GL, I've
5 >>> decided to stick with Gentoo routers. This increases the
6 >>> number of Gentoo systems I'm responsible for and they're
7 >>> nearing double-digits. What can be done to make the management
8 >>> of multiple Gentoo systems easier? I think identical hardware
9 >>> in each system would help a lot but I'm not sure that's
10 >>> practical. I need to put together a bunch of new workstations
11 >>> and I'm thinking some sort of server/client arrangement with
12 >>> the only Gentoo install being on the server could be
13 >>> appropriate.
14 >>>
15 >>> - Grant
16 >>
17 >> You may want to look at something like a config management
18 > system.
19 >> I'm using Puppet these days, but Gentoo support isn't spectacular.
20 >> It would be a bit complex to have Puppet install the packages with
21 >> the correct USE flags. However you could use Puppet to manage all
22 >> the text files and then manage the packages somewhat manually.
23 >
24 > Give chef a try.
25 >
26 > It overcomes a lot of the issue puppet ran into, and of course makes
27 > new ones all of it's won, but by and large chef is more flexible.
28
29 Too late. I've already put a year in with Puppet and have too much
30 working code to switch. Also I'm not much of a programmer so I get a bit
31 more out of the DSL though my templates are getting fairly fancy these
32 days. For anyone else interested in what we're talking about, here's a
33 fairly balanced and up to date link talking about some of the differences.
34
35 http://redbluemagenta.com/2011/05/21/puppet-vs-chef/
36
37 kashani