From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem with xf86-video-ati & nvidia-drivers
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:23:34
1 >> ...
2 >>>> >> I was thinking about this.  The digital HDMI signal must be converted
3 >>>> >> into an analog signal at some point if it's being represented as light
4 >>>> >> on a TV screen.  Electrical interference generated by the computer and
5 >>>> >> traveling up the HDMI wire should have its chance to affect things
6 >>>> >> (i.e. create weird shadows) at that point, right?
7 >>>> >
8 >>>> > Not with DFPs.  Those work digital even internally.  I assume of course
9 >>>> > that his HDMI TV *is* a DFP.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> But at some point the 1s and 0s must be converted to some sort of an
12 >>>> analog signal if only right behind the diode.  A diode must be
13 >>>> presented with a signal in some sort of analog form in order to
14 >>>> illuminate, right?
15 >>>
16 >>> no.
17 >>>
18 >>> If your tv is a standard flat panel, the sub pixels only go from on to off and
19 >>> back. Nothing else. There is no analog signal, no transformation nothing. And
20 >>> off means 'let light through' and on 'black'
21 >>
22 >> Every digital signal is encoded into an analog signal.  I think it
23 >> would take some serious EMI to sufficiently change the characteristics
24 >> of an analog signal so as to create an error in the overlying digital
25 >> signal if that signal is traveling along a wire.  I can imagine it
26 >> happens but I would think it's rare.  Even if that signal were
27 >> altered, I would think it just about impossible that anything but an
28 >> error could be produced.
29 >>
30 >> Whether an LED is on or off is determined by whether or not it is
31 >> forward biased.  Biasing is established by analog voltages and/or
32 >> currents, and those can be altered by EMI.  Again, I would think it's
33 >> very rare that EMI could affect an LED's forward biasing and change
34 >> its state from on to off or off to on.
35 >>
36 >> However, what color an LED emits is determined by the energy gap of
37 >> the semiconductor which is very much an analog process.  How could it
38 >> be anything else?  How do you tell a photon to emit a certain color by
39 >> feeding it 1's and 0's?  There has to be at least one D/A conversion
40 >> somewhere between the digital signal and the emittance of the LED, and
41 >> that is the most likely point for EMI to affect the final output.
42 >>
43 >>> If you have an led display it is pretty much the same. All the levels you see
44 >>> are achieved with fast switching. There are no analog levels.
45 >>>
46 >>> Stroller is probably correct with overscan/underscan.
47 >>>
48 >>> But that has nothing to do with digital/analog conversion.
49 >>>
50 >>>
51 >>>> Digital is just a figment of our imagination after
52 >>>> all.
53 >>>
54 >>> emm, no, seriously not.
55 >>
56 >> It is though.  It only exists in the conceptual world, not the
57 >> physical world.  If you want to do anything with your digital signal
58 >> besides change it, store it, or transfer it, there must be a D/A
59 >> conversion.
60 >
61 > You're thinking of PCM. (And that's what I was thinking of, earlier,
62 > too). I assume Stroller and Volker are talking about PWM, where a
63 > perceived analog value is achieved by rapidly turning a signal from
64 > full-on to full-off.
65 >
66 > (Yes, there's no such thing as pure-digital in the physical world. The
67 > confusion here appears to be in PWM vs PCM.)
68 > --
69 > :wq
70
71 Everything I said above applies to both PCM and PWM. They are only
72 conceptual layers built on top of a physical/analog base. PWM
73 switching from full-on to full-off and back is an analog process
74 representing digital data in order to represent an analog signal.
75
76 - Grant