From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] coexisting GCC versions
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 08:27:51
1 On Sunday 28 June 2009 05:47:23 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Sonntag 28 Juni 2009, Alex Schuster wrote:
3 > > Volker Armin Hemmann writes:
4 > > > On Sonntag 28 Juni 2009, Alex Schuster wrote:
5 > > >> Or keep 4.3 as default, I don't think you could run into problems.
6 > > >
7 > > > he will over time. If you switch default compiler emerge -s world has
8 > > > to be done.
9 > >
10 > > According to Alan McKinnon's (and my own experience), this is not
11 > > necessary, unless there are ABI changes. But there were none between 4.1
12 > > and 4.3.
13 > >
14 > > http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@l.g.o/msg83724.html
15 > >
16 > > Wonko
17 >
18 > you don't have to compile between 4.2.0 and 4.2.1 - sure.
19 >
20 > But with 4.2 to 4.3 I only got a stable system after compiling everything
21 > with the same compiler. So whatever Alan says - I know how borked my box
22 > was with half of the libs compiled by one compiler and the rest by the
23 > other.
24
25 That's interesting. I run ~amd64 here and update almost daily - so I got
26 practically every gcc version that hit the tree since 3.3 at some stage. And I
27 never had the problem you describe.
28
29 It's likely that you have a set of libs that indeed *are* sensitive to
30 different gcc versions, and I'm not using those libs (so I don't get the
31 problems).
32
33 I wonder if it would be worth the effort to investigate this further and
34 isolate problem packages. It seems that only Gentoo (and derivs) have this
35 problem - binary distros rebuild everything from scratch with each new
36 releases (equivalent to emerge -e world) so they tend to never run into these
37 issues.
40 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com