From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 16:15:06
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 24/12/2016 03:52, lee wrote:
4 >> Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
5 >>
6 >>> On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 04:15:50 +0100, lee wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>>> There are no config files to edit with the predictable names, the
9 >>>>> names are created from the physical location of the port. That's why
10 >>>>> they are called predictable,
11 >>>>
12 >>>> I only know what the names are when I can look them up when the computer
13 >>>> is running. I don't call that "predictable".
14 >>>
15 >>> If they are constructed according to specific rules, they are
16 >>> predictable, by definition.
17 >>
18 >> You're overlooking that you need to know exactly, in advance, what the
19 >> rules are applied to, and all the rules, for having a chance that your
20 >> prediction turns out to be correct. Provided you know all that, you can
21 >> predict the universe, assuming that everything always goes according to
22 >> rules. You can not prove that it does and only disprove that it does
23 >> when you find a case in which it doesn't. So what's your definition and
24 >> your predictions worth?
25 >
26 > You keep mis-defining what "predictable" means in this context. It does
27 > not mean, in the style of Newton, that you will always know everything
28 > about it. Neither is it the same meaning as prediction in the context of
29 > a scientific theory.
30 >
31 > "prediction" here simply means that the interface name is guaranteed to
32 > be the same as it was on last boot, and the somewhat random nature of
33 > kernael names (ethX, wlanX) is not in play.
34 >
35 > It does NOT mean that you are guaranteed to know exactly what an
36 > interface will be called before you boot it for the first time.
37 >
38 > Rename "predictable names" to "already known names" if it makes you feel
39 > better. There's nothing wrong with this definition of predictable, as it
40 > satisfies it's own rules and is consistent within itself. It is not
41 > complete though but we already know that from Godel.
42 >
43 > As long as you keep trying to apply the wrong meaning of predictable to
44 > this situation, you will keep typing mails like this one I'm replying to
45 > where you argue about something that is not even there. You also can't
46 > realistically argue about what "predictable" means because like almost
47 > all human concepts it is not a singularity, rather it is a spectrum
48 > where it means what the author says it means.
49 >
50 > And the quote for that meaning has already been posted in this thread
51 > somewhere.
52
53 Seriously?
54
55 Predicting something means to tell something in advance. You are trying
56 to defend a wrong usage of language here.