From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Add a module post kernel config/build
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:41:29
1 On Wednesday 18 April 2007, reader@×××××××.com wrote about '[gentoo-user]
2 Add a module post kernel config/build':
3 > Summary:
4 > How can I add an additional module once I've configured/built a kernel?
5 >
6 > Details: After looking thru the handbook, especially section about
7 > kernel config, I don't see information about how to add a module once
8 > a kernel is built and running.
9
10 For in-tree modules, go into the kernel source directory, use menuconfig or
11 whatever to set that configuration setting to 'm', make, make
12 modules-install. (Or, at least, that's my preferred method modulo typos.)
13
14 Changing kernel settings doesn't always require a new kernel image; here's
15 a table (please view in a fixed width font.
16
17 Old New Result
18 N M Rebuild modules
19 N Y Rebuild image
20 M N No rebuild needed
21 M Y Rebuild image [1]
22 Y N Rebuild image
23 Y M Rebuild image
24
25 If the image needs rebuilding, you'll also need to rebuild all modules.
26 You'll also want to re-install anything you had to rebuild.
27
28 [1]: Remove the module from /lib/modules to make sure you don't try and
29 load it twice.
32 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
33 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
34 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
35 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/