From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --depclean -p long list of packages
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 01:09:27
1 On 04/19/13 21:34, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 14:27:25 -0600, Joseph wrote:
3 >
4 >> Can someone explain me why am I getting long list of packages when I
5 >> run: emerge --depclean
6 >
7 >Please post the exact command you used and the complete output.
10 >--
11 >Neil Bothwick
12 >
13 >Hors d'oeuvres: 3 sandwiches cut into 40 pieces.
14
15 I always use: emerge --depclean -p
16 double check everything and then run: emerge --depclean
17
18 The reason, I'm asking as sometimes I see normal output
19
20 ----------
21 * Depclean may break link level dependencies. Thus, it is
22 * recommended to use a tool such as `revdep-rebuild` (from
23 * app-portage/gentoolkit) in order to detect such breakage.
24 *
25 * Always study the list of packages to be cleaned for any obvious
26 * mistakes. Packages that are part of the world set will always
27 * be kept. They can be manually added to this set with
28 * `emerge --noreplace <atom>`. Packages that are listed in
29 * package.provided (see portage(5)) will be removed by
30 * depclean, even if they are part of the world set.
31 *
32 * As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
33 * unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved. As a
34 * consequence, it is often necessary to run `emerge --update
35 * --newuse --deep @world` prior to depclean.
36
37 >>> No packages selected for removal by depclean
38 Packages installed: 926
39 Packages in world: 206
40 Packages in system: 42
41 Required packages: 926
42 Number to remove: 0
46 and on other system I have a list of all my packages scrolling by as I listed earlier.
49 Joseph