From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI booting again - FIXED
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 16:11:06
1 On Monday, 19 October 2020 14:08:05 -00 Michael wrote:
2
3 > Are you saying calling 'efibootmgr -v' lists a different UEFI boot menu?
4
5 No, I'm saying that I appear to be able to create a BIOS entry using
6 efibootmgr, but when I reboot and enter BIOS setup, the entry often isn't
7 there. Or if it is, either the kernel won't boot, or it does but the resulting
8 system is incomplete.
9
10 When I bought this system I failed entirely to install grub - I followed the
11 instructions slavishly and received much help from those more knowledgeable on
12 this list at the time, but never got the system to boot. Then, groping about
13 trying to understand efibootmgr, bootctl and UEFI generally, I may have done
14 some combination of things that prevented those tools from ever working again.
15 For me. On this machine.
16
17 So the summary is: I can preserve the ESP using Windows's system image
18 creation and recovery tool, but not with those two Linux tools.
19
20 I've wasted several months wrestling with this, and I've finished up with what
21 I've described.
24 Regards,
25 Peter.