From: Gerhard Hoogterp <gerhard@×××××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] etc-update
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:53:26
1 On Thursday 29 June 2006 18:09, A. Khattri wrote:
2 > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, David Corbin wrote:
3 > > > I don't see why use other tool. Etc-update works great...
4 > >
5 > > It works great, But the interface sucks.
6 >
7 > What exactly sucks? Be specific rather than making some vague sweeping
8 > statement.
9
10 The interface oh well.. but what I dislike about etc-update (and it's
11 replacements afaik) is this tendency to want to restore files to their
12 original state.. One keypress to many, one moment of not paying enough
13 attention an whee.. gone is fstab, XF86Org or some other important file.. I
14 really don't understand why the system doesn't have blabla.conf.dist files to
15 fool around with and leave it up to the administator to check of changes and
16 the like..
17
18 Yes I've been burned a few times.. and no I didn't like it..
19
20 Gerhard
21 --
22 Ithaka photography, http://ithaka.mine.nu/