From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconciling users and services
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:45:35
1 >>>> mysql only needs to connect to a daemon running on the same system,
2 >>>> and I think it does so via a unix socket as opposed to tcp. I can see
3 >>>> from netstat that /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock is connected, there is
4 >>>> no mention of a tcp mysql connection, and nmap does not show a mysql
5 >>>> port to be open. Is there anything else I should do as far as locking
6 >>>> down mysql? I'm the only one with shell access to the system.
7 >>>
8 >>> mysql should be running as a non-root user (probably mysql) and for what
9 >>> you
10 >>> use, should be listening on localhost only. If you need to connect over
11 >>> the
12 >>
13 >> How can I check to make sure mysql is only listening to localhost? It
14 >> doesn't show up with nmap.
15 >>
16 >> - Grant
17 >
18 > sudo netstat -ptln
19 >
20 > It' also works without sudo, but then you don't see the process associated
21 > with the open TCP port.
22 >
23 > kashani
24
25 Thank you, the Local Address for mysqld is listed as 127.0.0.1 so I
26 must be good to go.
27
28 - Grant