From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Colors corrupted in X after returning from text console
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 02:59:15
1 On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 22:13 -0400, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 06:55:50PM -0400, Albert Hopkins wrote
3 >
4 > > You may not have do that. All 3 of my systems with Intel graphics run
5 > > KMS with X with no xorg.conf at all. But since you're running stable
6 > > YMMV.
7 >
8 > Fortunately I've set up lilo to boot up from separate "Production" and
9 > "Experimental" kernels. This allows me to reboot and flee to a sane
10 > config if things go wrong. It appears that nothing is simple. The Intel
11 > driver works great in X, without an xorg.conf. However, it insists on
12 > running framebuffer in text console mode. I *CANNOT* turn off framebuffer.
13 > Passing parameters to lilo via...
14 >
15 > append = "noexec=on noexec32=on nofb"
16 >
17 > doesn't help. In "make menuconfig" graphics/console, I see
18 >
19 > -*- Framebuffer Console support
20 >
21 > there is no box to uncheck. Could it be related to my /etc/make.conf
22 >
23 > VIDEO_CARDS="intel vga"
24 >
25 > Would changing that to VIDEO_CARDS="intel" (and re-emerging xorg) help?
28 KMS drivers and framebuffer console drivers are different and AFAIK
29 mutually exclusive. The boot parameter to disable KMS would be, e.g.,
30 i915.modeset=0