From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:21:53
1 On Thursday, June 23 at 00:35 (-0400), Matthew Finkel said:
2
3 > Oh, don't get me wrong, that's one reason I use qcow2 myself, but it's
4 > either something he would have to deal with when he received it or the
5 > conversion would increase the size of the disk image that would be
6 > shipped to him.
7
8 Yes, of course a raw image file will typically be bigger than a
9 compressed qcow, just as an unpacked stage4..tar.bz2 file is going to be
10 bigger than the original archive. But in terms transferability,
11 compressed qcows are more efficient since they only include *used*
12 blocks and they are compressed. I can convert the image into any of a
13 number of formats, but the issue then is it will be bigger, and thus
14 take me longer to upload it and the OP to download it.