From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Question re: UUID
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:14:37
1 On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:41:58 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
3 >
4 > > The other possible way would be to give your devices unique names,
5 > > either via udev or by using LVM. Advantage over UUIDs: much easier to
6 > > read.
7 >
8 > Or you could use filesystem labels.
9 >
10 I've used filesystem labels for a long time and generally it works
11 really well. Only problem I've had is my Dad's machine has a Maxtor
12 1-touch 1394 drive. It seems that often it doesn't get recognized by
13 the 1394 subsystem fast enough to satisfy whatever requirements the
14 Gentoo scripts have for the label being readable so it doesn't
15 reliably get recognized every time.
16
17 Cheers,
18 Mark