From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cant boot my installed gentoo system - Please help
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 06:36:28
1 On Dienstag 04 November 2008, Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal wrote:
2 > Hi
3 > I am new to Gentoo. My previous experience is with slackware . I
4 > Downloaded the Live CD and installed Gentoo twice .. but the problem is
5 > Grub is not installed. I have a dual boot with Widowz and Grub for dos
6 > ... So I tried it using the grub console
7 >
8 > >root (hd0,4)
9 > >kernel (hd0,4)/ --> and when I tab here I cant list the content.
10 >
11 > So I used the live CD and chrooted to the installed environment . there
12 > I realized that I don't have any files for my hdd in the /dev/ folder
13 > ... Is this the issue... Please advise me . Cuz I went trough the
14 > installation twice ..,
15
16 no. This is normal. /dev is populated by udev. If you chroot from a livecd,
17 you need to bind mount dev to your chroots dev first.
18
19 And there is no reason to redo the installation. Grub is sometimes REALLY
20 annoying to setup. But usually it works as long as you are staying close to
21 the tutorial in info grub.