From: Patrick Holthaus <patrick.holthaus@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OpenVPN and DHCP
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 11:09:16
1 Hello everybody!
2
3 Maybe this is a bit Off-Topic here, but maybe some of you like to help me
4 anyway.
5
6 I am trying to build a VPN network where the clients get their IP adresses
7 from a local DHCP server (because it should notify the nameserver of the
8 clients). The VPN should have its own adress pool 10.8.0.* while the
9 unsecured clients in the server's LAN should get an 192.168.1.* adress.
10
11 I got the VPN working but the clients do appearently not get their IP from the
12 DHCP server but some random IP from the OpenVPN server. (The DHCP server only
13 assignes 10.8.0.100-200 adresses but the clients get .8 or .10 for example)
14
15 Now my questions are:
16 Do I need bridging for making the DHCP server work in the VPN?
17 How should the configuration files look like?
18
19 The current configuration files can be found here:
20 http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/pholthaus/public/vpn
21
22 client.openvpn.conf.txt and
23 server.openvpn.conf.txt are the current configuration files.
24
25 client.openvpn.conf.testing.txt and
26 server.openvpn.conf.testing.txt are files where i tried to use tap devices.
27 However if i use these configurations i get the following error in the
28 server's log:
29
30 Mar 15 12:50:04 kael openvpn[23401]: thrall/129.70.171.12:32830 MULTI: no
31 dynamic or static remote --ifconfig address is available for
32 thrall/129.70.171.12:32830
33
34 Any help is appreciated very much!
35 Thanks
36 Patrick
37
38 P.S. I also started a thread in the Gentoo forums. If you are interested in it
39 check it out here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-547061.html