From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo installation, network adapter not supported
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 04:51:43
1 On 29 June 2013, at 09:16, Zind wrote:
2 >
3 > After I made the LiveUSB, disabling the UEFI boot, I finally boot into the Gentoo kernel. But I could not connect to the network. ...
4 >
5 > After several times of STFW, I can confirm it's a network adapter driver support issue: lacks of coresponding network adapter drivers.
6 > For the AR8161 network adapter, it requires the alx kernal module: alx.ko.
7
8 If I'm understanding correctly, that it's the LiveCD that can't connect to the network (rather than the installed system) then there are various ways to work around this.
9
10 Two alternatives that spring to mind are:
11
12 1. Many USB network adaptors are supported by LiveCDs, try one of those. Some wired USB ethernet are available new for as little as $10 or so, or you could probably find a secondhand wifi 802.11b or g adaptor that cheap. Or borrow one, or something.
13
14 2. For each emerge command in the installation guide, run `emerge -fp package-name` first, and redirect the output into a textfile. Then copy this textfile onto a USB key, take it to another machine with working internet access, use `wget -i file` to download the packages and then transfer them back to the machine on which you're installing Gentoo.
15
16 Stroller.