From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: grub chainloader
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:37:40
1 In <news:bf6b6d5c0707171550sa74b587v3652ac2f00d3be8e@××××××××××.com>,
2 Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 >I've read the GRUB documentation, but still don't understand why the
5 >following worked:
6
7 [snip grub.conf]
8
9 >I would've thought that the chainloader +1 statement would be required
10 >-- that's my experience at least.
11
12 It's only needed if you're booting an unsupported (by grub) OS; it
13 tells grub to just hand off to another bootloader. The +1 tells grub
14 to load the first sector of the OS's partition, which is where the
15 other bootloader should be embedded.
16
17 As long as you're booting Linux kernels, you can just point grub at
18 them without using another bootloader.
21 »Q«
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list