From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc upgrade and firefox/seamonkey issues
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 09:16:01
1 On Thursday 22 October 2015 17:11:42 Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On 22/10/2015 23:51, Dale wrote:
4 > >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > >>> On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 14:07:06 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 > >>>> Of course, there is better ways of finding this info but I never can
7 > >>>> remember the command and it takes me a bit to figure out what options
8 > >>>> do what so I finally said "screw it" and work without it unless I just
9 > >>>> must have it. If I only need one, I use the date command. It
10 > >>>> works. ;-)
11 > >>>
12 > >>> genlop -l --date yesterday
13 > >>>
14 > >>> Not too hard to remember :)
15 > >>
16 > >> It is when you only use it once every year or two. Generally, it is
17 > >> rare that I have to even go look at the emerge log file. This is likely
18 > >> the first time I have looked in there in a good long while. Maybe over a
19 > >> year. Sometimes, I wonder if I even need the thing.
20 > >
21 > > Of course you need it - genlop won't work without it
22 >
23 > That's the point. I rarely use it. The only genlop command I may use
24 > every once in a while is genlop -c. I use that to see how long
25 > something has been compiling or if it is a major upgrade, what is
26 > actually being compiled at the time. Generally, the estimated time
27 > remaining is worthless. Most of the time, it isn't even in the ballpark.
28
29 Genlop is just a simple tool. I know of two cases it doesn't cope with well:
30 first, simultaneous emerges of the same package in the main system and in a
31 chroot; second, emerge -k.
32
33 I sometimes do a batch of emerge -B followed with emerge -k. The time taken
34 from emerge.log is tiny in that case, but genlop still includes it in its
35 calculation of average emerge time.
36
37 Any time I want to emerge -e world I do it that way. Also any KDE upgrade gets
38 the same treatment: first compile the packages, then shut down KDE and install
39 them. That way I don't get problems in trying to restart KDE when half its
40 code has changed.
43 Rgds
44 Peter