From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] ProFTPd problem with anonymous access
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 22:13:31
1 Hello all,
2
3 I'm hoping someone on the list can help me out with a problem I'm having
4 (or at least point me in the direction of a RTFM). I've got my laptop
5 set up as a local rsync and source mirror for a PC at work and another
6 laptop at home. The laptop has /usr/portage shared anonymously, so
7 whatever distfile it's already downloaded, the other computers don't
8 need to go out to the Internet to retrieve. This has been working for a
9 little while now. However, recently I noticed that one of the local
10 computers were going out to the Internet to retrieve the newest
11 gentoo-sources, which I knew had already been downloaded on the mirror
12 laptop. Looking further, I found that when I try to log into the laptop
13 as anonymous, I get a 530-Unable to set anonymous privileges error, and
14 in /var/log/messages, I see: ftp: Directory /usr/portage/ is not accessible.
15
16 This setup used to work for a while, but looking back through
17 /var/log/messages, it appears this started on 1 Sept. Going back
18 through my emerge.log shows that the previous day, Portage had updated
19 wine, and installed bar. Then later that day, I must have changed a USE
20 flag for hal, because then I see policykit being installed, then hal
21 being rebuilt. Then I was trying to help a friend get data off a disk
22 their kids had wiped, so I installed testdisk, gpart and gparted.
23
24 The next day sees iputils, apache-tools, apache, docbook-xml-dtd-4.2,
25 and deskbar-applet being updated. I was having troubles with the
26 upgrade-then-downgrade of dhcpcd and upgrade of gentoo-sources-2.6.35,
27 so later that day saw me unmasking dhcpcd-5.2.7 and re-upgrading that.
28
29 As far as I can tell, ProFTPd should be trying to access that folder
30 with the ftp account that Portage set up for me. And permissions on
31 both /usr and /usr/portage give r-x to other. So if I understand
32 correctly, it *should* be able to access that folder, at least
33 read-only. Changing it to rwx for other doesn't fix it, either.
34
35 Attached is my proftpd.conf, as configured according to
36 http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Setup_local_Portage_and_Package_Mirror
37 (and which had been worked previously). Any help would be appreciated.
38
39 Jake Moe

proftpd.conf text/plain