From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT - More Router Advice] Cheap Router with decent/reliable VLAN support
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 04:02:23
1 On Monday 30 May 2011 17:06:01 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2011-05-29 8:28 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > so - why don't you get a router that ONLY does the routing and a nice
4 > > good switch where you can tag the vlans?
5 >
6 > Money/knowledge level? I don't know how to do it, so I was looking for
7 > something that will work that I can do myself, that is affordable.
8 >
9 > > Because if someone takes over your router it does not matter that you
10 > > have different vlans, they can access everything.
11 >
12 > And the same would apply if they got access to the switch too, right? ;)
15 since the switch will be in its own managment vlan, it won't be possible.
16
17 > > But if the router is on a different vlan than the internal network,
18 > > they have to take over the switch - which will be in a vlan
19 > > inaccessible from any active device - to get into the other vlans.
20 >
21 > If this is something that can be done with not a lot of money/expertise,
22 > can you point me to some How-To that walk me through it?
23
24 the manuals of switches with vlan tagging are pretty easy. On alcatels its
25 boils down to klicking around in a web interface ;)