From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-dev] Dropping localepurge
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:57:32
1 120130 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > Do you even have LINGUAS set in /etc/make.conf or something?
3 > Because at least evince, gdk-pixbuf, xkeyboard-config and
4 > gnome-doc-utils DO honor LINGUAS.
5 >
6 > All GNOME packages that use intltool (that is pretty much everything
7 > except a few low-level libraries) honor LINGUAS much more than
8 > localepurge would ever be able clean afterwards. For example, .desktop
9 > files only have translation lines for languages listed in LINGUAS. Same
10 > for gconf and dconf schemas. Also all end-user documentation
11 > in /usr/share/gnome/help/appname/lang_code/
12 >
13 > Per above, we would close at least 4 of those bugs as INVALID or at
14 > least OBSOLETE (if some older version had it wrong).
15 > At least in GNOME we feel quite strong about things properly honoring
16 > LINGUAS per old standard GNU conventions. This means installing ALL
17 > translations if LINGUAS is unset, and none if LINGUAS is set to an empty
18 > string.
19 >
20 > Above said, I also do find a use on some systems for localepurge, to
21 > catch the packages that don't honor it.
22 > Though for embedded deployments I might as well not include the
23 > non-interesting language directories in the image.
24
25 Thanks for the useful & polite response. I will look into LINGUAS.
26 How to set it is not mentioned in make.conf.example or in man make.conf :
27 where is it documented ?
31 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
32 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
33 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca