From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean and python needed by scribus.
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 16:29:18
1 On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:40:05 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >
4 >> Same here. I compiled it for a long time (double meaning!), but when I
5 >> realized the amount of time spent compiling it was greater than the
6 >> amount of time spent using it... I decided to go oo-bin as well.
7 >
8 > You spend time compiling OOo? I just let the computer get on with it in
9 > the background :-O
10
11 Sure, of course I'm not staring at the gcc lines scrolling by, but it
12 gets in the way of compiling other things and causes unnecessary (in
13 my case) CPU and power load for a program I use only rarely.
14 Especially on slower machines, like my laptop which takes something
15 like 4 hours to compile openoffice. In that case I think gentoo in
16 general may not be the right choice (since, again, I spend more time
17 emerging than I do actually using the laptop), but I don't like any
18 other distro so whatever. :)
19
20 Google Docs has replaced most of what little I ever use OOo for
21 (opening random "office" files people send me), so the -bin package
22 may be dismissed from my machines in the near future too. ;)