From: "Jan Stępień" <jan@×××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Xgl and direct rendering
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:00:18
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I've been using Xgl for quite a long time without any serious problems.
4 Recently I've tried to launch America's Army (emerged one, version
5 2.5.0) on my box, but...
6
7 ~ armyops
8 Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".
9 Cheat protection disabled
10 open /dev/[sound/]mixer: No such file or directory
11 WARNING: ALC_EXT_capture is subject to change!
12 Either GL_EXT_bgra or glDrawRangeElements not supported- bailing out.
13 History:
14 Exiting due to error
15
16 Being quite disappointed I verified the first line of the output above
17 with glxinfo. And so...
18
19 ~ glxinfo
20 name of display: :1.0
21 Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".
22 display: :1 screen: 0
23 direct rendering: No
24 <snip>
25
26 It sounds rather unbelievably. I've got running Xgl with Beryl's
27 dazzling animations and I'm informed that despite having over 4000 FPS
28 on glxgears I have not got direct rendering. What the...?
29
30 Few days later I've accidentally launched Xorg (using startx script)
31 instead of my Xgl. When I entered my old, two-dimension desktop I
32 thought that trying America's Army over here, without Xgl, could tell me
33 something more (i.e. that something's wrong with my configuration or
34 whatever else). So I typed armyops in the terminal... And surprisingly
35 enough the game has started. Furthermore, the framerate was quite
36 satisfactory.
37
38 After this quite long introduction I'll finally get to the point. I have
39 got two questions.
40
41 1. Is it possible to enable somehow direct rendering on Xgl, therefore
42 allowing OpenGL apps to work as ought to.
43
44 2. If the answer to the first questions is "NO", then is there a method
45 of choosing which Xserver to use? Can I choose whether I'd like to
46 launch Xorg or Xgl? Or maybe I can even enable such choice in GDM login
47 screen?
48
49 If you need any further information regarding by box please don't
50 hesitate to ask. Any support would be highly appreciated.
51
52 Best regards,
53 Jan Stępień
56 Mail jan at stepien com pl