From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preparing for profile switch -- major problem
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 14:53:30
1 On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 07:54:59 -0500
2 John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I am using ~amd64 and have done so for
5 > years, so I don't think I need to maks off anything.
6
7 Sorry, I may have gotten my wires crossed.
8
9 The impression I got was you were trying to stick with perl 5.24
10
11 The point is *if* you're sticking with perl 5.24 ( which is current
12 stable ) then by design, you need the set of virtuals that specify perl
13 5.24.
14
15 If you try to use "~amd64" virtuals with an "amd64" perl, portage will
16 try to install the newest versions of those virtuals, which in turn
17 force installing perl 5.26
18
19 Hence, you need to use a paired combination of dev-lang/perl and
20 virtuals.
21
22 Just the mechanism by which we make this pairing happens is via
23 stability levels.
24
25 Hence, if you wanted to use Perl 5.24, you would need to do more than
26 merely mask perl 5.26, you would need to mask the virtuals that tell
27 portage to install perl 5.26 as well.