From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wlan0/ndiswrapper failing after gcc-4 upgrade (and dual Windows boot)
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 02:06:26
1 On 11/25/06, Sergio Polini <sp_rm_it@×××××.it> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht:
3 > > Unless I'm mistaken, that module is ndiswrapper which was
4 > > emerged again after the kernel was rebuilt.
5 >
6 > Was ndiswrapper emerged *and updated*?
7 > My card name is Broadcom BCM4310 UART, my gcc is 4.1.1, my udev is
8 > 087-r1. I have to use ndiswrapper 1.23 because more recent versions
9 > do not work.
10 > HTH
11 > Sergio
12 > --
13
14 Sergio,
15 Hi and thanks very much for responding. My apologies in advance for
16 the length of this post. Lots of info.
17
18 In my case ndiswrapper was not updated. Before the upgrade and
19 after I was using 1.2-r1. It worked yesterday but fails today. I am
20 currently on the offending machine but using a wired interface with
21 the cable stretched across the house so that I can give real results.
22
23 Following along in the spirit of your response I don't even see
24 version 1.23 so I've tried installing the newest masked version, even
25 though I expect this failed on your machine:
26
27 Sector9 ~ # eix -I ndiswrapper
28 * net-wireless/ndiswrapper
29 Available versions: 1.2-r1 1.25 1.26 1.28 1.29
30 Installed: 1.29
31 Homepage: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
33 wireless cards
34
35 Sector9 ~ #
36
37 >From dmesg you can see the effects of loading each driver, one at a
38 time - not both together. I'm just posting both below to show the
39 difference in dmesg:
40
41 ndiswrapper version 1.2 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=no)
42
43 or...
44
45 ndiswrapper version 1.29 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=no)
46 usbcore: registered new driver ndiswrapper
47
48 (the second message was because there is a new usb USE flag. I turned
49 that off and I then do not get the second message when loading, but
50 the driver still doesn't work for me yet.)
51
52 They load slightly differently. Maybe part of the problem is the
53 changes in udev and the removal of hotplug and coldplug? Could that be
54 involved? I am now using the newest udev. Maybe that's part of the
55 problem?
56
57 The newest 1.29 version of the driver shows this when I run
58 ndiswrapper from the command line to install the Windows driver:
59
60 Sector9 ~ # ndiswrapper -i 802.11g/NetA3AB.inf
61 installing neta3ab ...
62 forcing parameter MapRegisters from 256 to 64
63 forcing parameter MapRegisters from 256 to 64
64 forcing parameter MapRegisters from 256 to 64
65 forcing parameter MapRegisters from 256 to 64
66 forcing parameter MapRegisters from 256 to 64
67 Sector9 ~ #
68
69 I don't like those messages. They don't happen with the older version 1.2-r1.
70
71 After modprobing ndiswrapper dmesg says it's loaded as does lsmod.
72 There are no error messages. However when I try to start the interface
73 it fails:
74
75 Sector9 ~ # /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start
76 * Starting wlan0
77 * Bringing up wlan0
78 * 192.168.1.159/24
79 * network interface wlan0 does not exist
80 * Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver) [ !! ]
81 Sector9 ~ #
82
83 So it seems to be unhappy with the way the driver is working. That
84 said there is no difference in this output for 1.2-r1 and 1.29
85
86 >From the command line it appears that the newest version of
87 ndiswrapper is suggesting I can now use a Linux driver. I have no idea
88 how to actually do that though.
89
90 Sector9 ~ # ndiswrapper -l
91 installed drivers:
92 neta3ab driver installed, hardware (168C:001A) present
93 (alternate driver: ath_pci)
94 Sector9 ~ #
95
96 I do have the ath_pci driver and I can modprobe it successfully:
97
98 Sector9 ~ # modprobe ath_pci
99 Sector9 ~ # lsmod
100 Module Size Used by
101 <SNIP>
102 ath_pci 72800 0
103 ath_rate_sample 10880 1 ath_pci
104 <SNIP>
105 ath_hal 189264 3 ath_pci,ath_rate_sample
106 <SNIP>Sector9 ~ #
107
108 I don't see any errors in dmesg, or even any messages.
109
110 Since I cannot get ndiswrapper working how would I go about getting
111 ath_pci to work?
112
113 Sorry this got so long.
114