From: Phill MV <hiffyness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] X freezes & locks up, constantly
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:23:14
1 Every now and then, usually while doing something related to firefox (
2 mozilla-firefox-1.0.7-r2) but it's also happened when someone sent me a file
3 over MSN in gaim (gaim-1.5.0), my copy of xorg-x11-6.8.2-r4 will lock up and
4 refuse all interaction.
5
6 All windows stop responding; xmms keeps playing; keyboard locks up and the
7 mouse, although free to wiggle around won't cross from one screen to
8 another. Logging in from another machine over SSH, top reveals that X is
9 occupying 90-something% of the CPU; killing individual applications like
10 firefox or xmms doesn't do anything but killing X gives me back a working,
11 functional login screen.
12
13 This is, as you might imagine, amazingly annoying. For whatever reason,
14 it'll happen when I click specific links in Firefox (i.e. my professor's
15 labs & assignments link) or alt tab away or back into Firefox. I haven't
16 lost much work yet, thanks to my habit of using vim in screen but otherwise
17 it's frustrating to either boot up a 2nd (non linux) comp or hitting the
18 restart button.
19
20 It started when I accidentally updated a bunch of packages using ~x86
21 keywords but I've recompiled xorg and firefox back to their 'stable'
22 versions; sooner or later I'm going to try to recompile everything down to
23 their stable versions but in the meanwhile, any suggestions?