From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world favorites: pros and cons
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:47:13
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > If you later take X out of your use flags, and do an emerge -DNuv
4 > world, the A no longer depends on B. But since it is still in your
5 > world file, portage will assume you want this package, and continue to
6 > compile updates for it with each new version. That can be a pretty
7 > huge waste of time.
8
9 Thanks! Good point!
12 --snip
13 > Why not just merge the
14 > top-level package, and if you don't like it, unmerge and use
15 > --depclean --pretend to figure out what can safely be removed?
18 Because if I decide to keep it, all dependencies it pulls-in don't get
19 updated until the top-level package starts depending on a different
20 version of those packages. Actually this is the main reason I started
21 this practice.
22 "emerge --depclean" yells a big warning that it is broken.
23
24 > And I don't necessarily believe that having everything in world
25 > results in a significantly faster scan time than having only top-level
26 > packages there. I would like to see actual proof of this assertion.
27 >
28 > -Richard
29
30 No, no! I'm saying just the opposite - the more packages you have
31 recorded in the world list, the slower scanning you get.
35 Best regards,
36 Daniel
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list