From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which VM do you recommend?
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 01:40:19
1 On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 07:40:36AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote
2 > On 2013-07-30 8:30 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Why do you need vmware tools? From the host, execute...
5 > >
6 > > ssh root@<guest> /sbin/poweroff
7 >
8 > Two reasons this isn't sufficient...
9 >
10 > 1. Extended power outage
11 >
12 > If my UPS sends a shutdown command to the host, I (obviously) want it to
13 > safely shutdown ALL running VMs.
14 >
15 > 2. Manual host shutdown
16 >
17 > I have my hosts configured so that if I press/release the power button,
18 > the host goes through a full power down process. I (obviously) want this
19 > process to also initiate safe shutdowns on all running VM's.
20 >
21 > I do not want to have to SSH in and manually run a command to
22 > uncooperative VM's first, I want to just be able to press/release the
23 > power button, and have the host safely shut down all running VMs, then
24 > itself.
25
26 ***IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE MANUAL*** I have a 1-line script that shuts
27 down my hot-backup machine, which I bring up once a month for updates.
28 Here it is...
29
30 #!/bin/bash
31 ssh waltdnes@d531 sudo /sbin/poweroff
32
33 ...with an appropriate entry in /etc/sudoers.d. In your case, you can
34 have your script run like so (assuming the VM's port 22 is redirected to
35 60022)
36
37 #!/bin/bash
38 ssh -P 60022 root@localhost /sbin/poweroff
39
40 I repeat, this is scriptable, and does not have to be manual.
43 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
44 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications