From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why does revdep-rebuild object to mounting /var on /mnt/var ?
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 22:49:07
1 On 10/09/2013 00:26, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 09 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
5 >>> In fstab I have
6 >>> /dev/vg/var /mnt/var ext4 defaults 0 2
7 >>> I also have
8 >>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Aug 31 16:13 /var -> mnt/var
9 >>>
10 >>> This has worked ok but revdep-rebuild is not happy
11 >>
12 >> I think it's the symlink the thing that is making revdep-rebuild
13 >> unhappy. Have you tried to bind mount /mnt/var into /var?
14 >>
15 >> mount -o bind /mnt/var /var
16 >
17 > Works great. Thanks. To make it permanent I put
18 > /mnt/var /var ext4 bind 0 0
19 > right under
20 > /dev/vg/var /mnt/var ext4 defaults 0 2
21 > in /etc/fstab
22
23 I'm curious as to why you do that, I can't see any benefit at all.
24
25 The "var" filesystem is an LV and is only useful if it is mounted at
26 /var where packages expect it to be. Why add the extra complexity of
27 mounting it somewhere else and then bind mounting it to the pnly place
28 it can be useful?
29
30 If you really want a bind mount (to for example work with only that
31 filesystem's objects and not have to deal with submounts below /var),
32 why not just mount the LV directly at /var and bind mount it to /mnt/var?
33
34 I'm assuming you do this for backup purposes or similar - some really
35 dumb backup software out there can't detect when it crosses a mount
36 point (I know this because I've had to deal with idiots who purchase
37 such software and have the power to insist I use it...)
38
39 If so, why not have your backup script mount the fs in /mnt, and umount
40 it when done?
43 >>> Should I also mount directly onto /tmp and /opt?
44 >>
45 >> I don't think so, although /tmp is preferred to be a tmpfs now, I
46 >> believe (in both systemd and OpenRC, if I'm not mistaken).
47 >
48 > To use tmpfs I will first have to teach myself not to put things in /tmp
49 > that I expect to need for only a few days (I have wipe_tmp="NO"; and use
50 > 30 days for tmpwatch).
51
52 There's rules of thumb about this that will always work:
53
54 No object in /tmp can be expected to survive successive invocations of
55 the program that created the object, and never survive a reboot;
56 No object in /var/tmp can be expected to survive a reboot
57
58 The best place for temp files, ironically, is ~
63 Alan McKinnon
64 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com