From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kmail issues/questions
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 13:33:05
1 I've been using Kmail for some time but am running into a couple of issues.
2 I'm not sure if they're actually Kmail issues and if they're actually outside
3 the Kmail program.
4
5 First, using spamassassin, Kmail freezes every time it checks my mail. If I
6 have only a few messages, it might freeze for a few seconds. If I have a lot
7 of messages, it might take 30 or 45 seconds before the program starts
8 responding again. If I'm in the middle of, say, typing an email, the key
9 presses are stored and processed once the program starts responding again.
10 If I turn off email processing through spamassassin, the issue either goes
11 away or the freeze is so quick as to be unnoticeable. I can understand it
12 taking time to process incoming email but I don't understand why it can't be
13 done in the background on a modern system. Is this normal behavior or is
14 there an issue with either Kmail or spamassassin?
15
16 Second, Kmail doesn't seem very adept at handling folders with lots of
17 messages. I have one folder which has about 40k messages in it. It's the
18 archives of a mailing list I run and I expect it to grow much larger
19 relatively quickly. It's in maildir format on a reiserfs volume. Just
20 clicking on the folder makes Kmail freeze for about four of five seconds
21 before it displays a list of messages in the window and becomes responsive to
22 key presses and mouse clicks again. If I try to search for messages in the
23 folder, the search will run for a minute or two and Kmail will crash. Every
24 time. This rather defeats the purpose of having an archive folder. Is
25 anyone else using Kmail with folders holding thousands of email messages?
26 Have you seen these issues? If Kmail is working well in those circumstances
27 for you, are you using maildir or mbox? What file system?
28
29 I'd also be interested in reports of anyone using Evolution with large
30 folders, or recommendations for other email clients. I'd be particularly
31 interested in one which precreates indexes to speed up searches.
32
33 Thanks,
34
35 Dan