From: jak gentoo <jak.gentoo@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Transcoding movie DVD to MPEG4?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 14:04:38
1 On 12/3/06, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi All,
4 >
5 > I want to copy a movie from a DVD which I bought in a shop, to another DVD
7 > take with me on holiday. I'll be playing back the copy on my laptop and
8 > (if
9 > it is feasible) the hotel's DVD player.
10 >
11 > I thought that K3B and a double layer blank DVD+R is all I need to burn an
12 > iso
13 > image of the DVD. After two expensive coasters (see other recent topic) I
14 > came to the conclusion that the combination of
15 > K3B/Phillips-DVD8421/Imation-DVD+R DL will just not work. I could start
16 > trying out different brands of DVD+R DL, but I cannot see a sustainable
17 > economic case for persevering with my coaster production. :-(
18 >
19 > So, I am now looking at alternative solutions to be able to enjoy my
20 > movies
21 > when on hols. I mounted the DVD and can see a number of *.vob files only
22 > some of which are the main film. Saving these would be enough, if only
23 > they
24 > could fit in a single layer DVD. Each of these *.vob files are approx.:
25 >
26 > -r-xr-xr-x 1 michael users 1073684480 Dec 3 11:21 vts_01_1.vob
27 >
28 > There are 6 of them in a video which I want to copy, but given the recent
29 > failed attempts with burning DVD+R DLs I will have to compact them so that
30 > they can fit in a single DVD. I read about transcoding into mpeg4, but I
31 > don't know what are the right options for what I want. What would you
32 > recommend?
33 > --
34 > Regards,
35 > Mick
39 Hi Mick,
40 I'm not sure if this is what you want, but there is a tool in portage called
41 dvdrip, maybe that helps.
42 I never used it so I don't know if it will suit your needs.