From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] march in /etc/make.conf
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:22:29
1 Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > On 06 July 2006 10:27, Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 >> Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
4 >> > Yes. Open files are not overwritten,
5 >>
6 >> Uh? Open files *ARE* overwritten! That's Linux, not Windows or HP-UX!
7 >
8 > No, open files are not overwritten. The new file with the same name (and path
9 > of course) is written to disk, true, but the old file still exists and the
10 > blocks it occupies on disk are not freed until the file is closed.
11
12 Well, depends on how you define "open files are overwritten". On
13 Linux, it is like you say. But on Windows and HP-UX, you CANNOT
14 replace a file, if it's still opened somewhere. Eg. you cannot
15 replace /bin/sh. Instead, a new file will be created and after
16 a reboot, the new file will be moved in place (that's how it
17 works on HP-UX, on Windows you cannot overwrite opened files.).
18
19 What I mean: On Linux, you can replace /bin/sh even if it used.
20 You cannot overwrite the used inodes/blocks, that's absolutely
21 correct, but that's not what I meant.
22
23 Alexander Skwar
24 --
25 The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and
26 robbers there will be.
27 -- Lao Tsu
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list