From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bind-9.7.1_p2 does not want to stop...
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 19:47:40
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 21:17 on Tuesday 16 November 2010, Jarry did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > Hi,
5 > today I updated my bind from 9.4.3_p5 to 9.7.1_p2. I noticed
6 > a few changes in configuration so first I did full backup, then
7 > uninstalled 9.4.3_p5 first, removed all configuration files,
8 > then emerged 9.7.1_p2, and configured it to run from chroot.
9 >
10 > named seems to start normally:
11 >
12 > # /etc/init.d/named start
13 > * Starting chrooted named ...
14 > * Mounting chroot dirs
15 > * mounting /etc/bind to /chroot/dns/etc/bind
16 > * mounting /var/bind to /chroot/dns/var/bind
17 > * mounting /var/log/named to /chroot/dns/var/log/named [ ok ]
18 >
19 > The problem is, it runs forever, and does not want to stop:
20 >
21 > # /etc/init.d/named stop
22 > * Stopping chrooted named ...
23 > * Umounting chroot dirs
24 > * Waiting until all named processes are stopped
25 >
26 > And there it hangs. I have been waiting for 15min, but nothing
27 > happened and ps shows named is still running. I aborted with
28 > ctrl+c and tried again, but still the same. I checked logs,
29 > but did not find anything suspicious. So where is the problem?
30
31 Do you absolutely *have* to run bind? Aside from it being a 100% RFC-compliant
32 reference server, it's a pig to run in real life. For an auth server, powerdns
33 is very good. For a cache, unbound.
34
35 What you have here is common. Bind can't find, or can't deal with, it's PID
36 file. Or it's just being stubborn.
37
38 Check your config that the PID file is in the right place, usable and that it
39 has the correct pid in it. Also check the init script for the same thing.
40
41 Failing that, there's "kill -9", this won't break anything but might
42 disconnect a client.
45 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com