From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: bootable CD/DVD/USB that can boot any ISO images on the disk?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 21:43:40
1 On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:06:45 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > Does anyone know of any software that can create a bootable CD/DVD or
4 > USB stick, that has a customizable menu that will let you boot pretty
5 > much any ISO file you copy to the disk and point to with the menu?
6
7 I tried something called MultiBootUSB, google for it, which did a fairly
8 decent job.
9
10 > It seems like I've seen something like this before, but all I can find
11 > are ones that only work with certain/particular pre-defined images.
12
13 That's because some ISO images are bootable like this and some are not,
14 and the ones that are use various incompatible boot systems. I've just
15 been trying to get an ISO of a Fedora-derived distro to boot like this,
16 but they modified the initrd scripts for no apparent reason better than
17 changing the names to look like theirs, and deleted the ISO booting
18 options in the process.
19
20 I ended up crating a custom initrd just to get back some of the
21 functionality that had been there in the first place :(
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional!!