From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dm-crypt + ext4 = where will the journal go?
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 15:55:43
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 09:15:31 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I think the new method for determining swap is to use what makes sense
6 >> and not the old rule of 'twice the ram'.
7 > Alan's new rule of swap is:
8 >
9 > If you ever use swap as swap at all, find out how your machine is
10 > misconfigured. When my 16G is "not enough" anymore, something is badly
11 > wrong and it isn't not enough RAM and I need swap to wiggle around
12 > in :-)
13 >
14 > I think the 2 x RAM rule stopped being applicable when the average
15 > machine got to more than 16M. Some old memes are like zombies - very
16 > hard to kill.
17 >
18 > This laptop has a "swap" partition, but it's not for swap, it's for
19 > hibernate. And I never use it, it takes longer to come out of hibernate
20 > than to just boot up from cold! These days I just suspend.
21 >
22 > None of this changes the fact that the kernel still does get upset when
23 > it has no swap at all (even just a little bit). But that doesn't mean
24 > we should still be using it as full-blown swap.
30 Yup. I have swap but I have it set to where it won't use it unless it
31 is REALLY bad. I have swappiness set to like 20 or something. It will
32 fill up my ram with cache and such but it rarely uses more than a few
33 hundred kilobytes of swap. When I see it using that, I usually kill
34 swap and add it back. I just don't like a machine with 16Gbs of ram
35 using swap at all. I have thought about setting it to 10. Maybe then
36 it will leave it alone until it really hits the fan. ;-)
37
38 That said, I did roll over one night and notice that the CPU was going
39 ape. I got up and into my chair to notice it was using almost all the
40 ram and was starting to use a bit of swap. I switched to a console, ran
41 htop and noticed that some KDE process was using about ~15.5Gbs of ram.
42 It was crazy to see. I couldn't get it to die with kill -15 so I did a
43 kill -9. I guess it had to know I really wanted it dead. It has not
44 happened since so no clue on why it did that. Heck, it ran the same
45 version of KDE for a good while and still didn't do it. Cosmic rays
46 from Mars I guess.
47
48 I would recommend at least 500Mbs or so of swap regardless of ram tho.
49 Some swap is a good idea. Just try not to use it since it is dog slow.
50 If you are using hibernate/suspend thingys then that is different.
51 Isn't that when it has to be at least as much swap as you have ram?
52
53 Dale
54
58 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!