From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xmms alternative
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:45:09
1 On Saturday 28 October 2006 08:30, Sarah wrote:
2 > Dotan Cohen wrote:
3 > > On 23/10/06, Arnau Bria <arnau@×××××××××.net> wrote:
4 > >> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:08:08 -0400
5 > >>
6 > >> Dave V wrote:
7 > >> > Hello,
8 > >>
9 > >> Hi,
10 > >>
11 > >> > I just read on the gentoo-dev list that xmms is about to be removed,
12 > >> > but it's probably the only sound player that I've used. Could someone
13 > >> > recommend a good alternative. I'm rather surprised that no one wanted
14 > >> > to maintain the packages.
15 > >>
16 > >> you should, not should, you MUST use Amarok :-)
17 > >>
18 > >> Cheers!
19 > >
20 > > I second that. My search for the ultimate music player has stopped
21 > > with Amarok. Absolutely brilliant. Name a feature- lyrics? wikipedia
22 > > integration? It's got it.
23 > >
24 > > Dotan Cohen
25 > >
26 > > http://rorot.com
27 > > http://what-is-what.com/what_is/linux.html
28 >
29 > Hi, I'm new to the list but have been lurking for a while... so forgive
30 > the slightly long post (bits of 'background' included to put things in
31 > context)
32 >
33 > I tried to get on with Amarok - I tried on my Ubuntu install before I
34 > discovered Gentoo... thought I'd be bound to get it working with Gentoo
35 > but couldn't... and tried Rhythmbox in desperation to have something
36 > play music.
37 >
38 > From what I've seen of Amarok, I'd love it, but I every time I've
39 > installed it I've run into the same problems:
40 >
41 > All our music (about 80 Gb, I think, mainly (but not all) OGG files) is
42 > stored on a server, accessed on a mounted Samba share. The share would
43 > mount correctly - and I tried mounting it with a variety of permissions
44 > set - but I couldn't get Amarok to 'read' the music collection
45 > successfully. I read various man/wiki/help pages which were supposed to
46 > get it working but I couldn't - and when Amarok bombed out it would take
47 > the system with it - things would lock up and I ended up have to reboot
48 > (!) and/or have major problems getting sound to work at all (it seemed
49 > to come and go, almost without reason).
50 >
51 > I'm a relative newbie with linux and have only had my gentoo install up
52 > and running for about a month now... but I have managed to get most
53 > other things sorted by *lots* of reading/Googling. I started off with
54 > kde, removed that (despite really giving KDE a really good go, I still
55 > wanted to go back to my Gnome comfort zone!) and installed gnome-light,
56 > unmasked the ~x86 packages that gnome-light pulled in and upgraded
57 > them... and sound works at last. And Rhythmbox works - but I don't like
58 > it (never have). I had xmms on my Ubuntu install... and had emerged it
59 > (now unmerged) to use with Gentoo... and would love to have a simple,
60 > working Amarok... but I haven't got my bravery together to embark on
61 > trying again!
62 >
63 > I can't help thinking the problem lies with my (lack of) understanding
64 > of samba - our Squeezebox serves up the music from the samba share
65 > beautifully - so I'm not sure what I'm getting wrong in how I mount the
66 > share (mounting exactly the same way is fine for Rhythmbox) for Amarok
67 > to read. Maybe I'll have another go one day soon! If anyone has any
68 > hot tips or pointers that might help, I'd be grateful - I think I'll
69 > tear all my hair out if I try to emerge it again and end up with big
70 > problems with my system (I so want to avoid a problem that I'll be doing
71 > a full system backup before I have a go).
72 >
73 > I wouldn't vote for rhythmbox. I might try audacious instead. But I'd
74 > really like a working amarok!
75
76 It seems amarok is a little picky about this.
77 http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Samba
78
79 You should be aware that amarok opens all files to read the metadata (tags)
80 when you add them to the collection. This is done just once, after that all
81 the metadata is stored in amaroks database.
82 --
83 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list