From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT as it gets. Sorry] Windoze 7 and reinstalling error.
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 12:13:52
1 On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 09:31:13PM -0500, Mike Edenfield wrote:
3 >> > From: Dale [mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com]
4 >> > Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:06 PM
7 >> > Your reply made me think of something.  I had a XP reinstall once that
8 >> > required a number from MS because of the new mobo and hard drive.  They
9 >> > said it recognized the change in the serial numbers.  When I ran into
10 >> > that before tho, it installed fine but gave 30 days to put in the
11 >> > number.  Does winders 7 have something similar?
12 >
13 > That's the Product Key, being 5x5 characters in size *looking at sticker on
14 > bottom of laptop*. Once you entered the key, Windows activates itself online.
15 > If that fails (e.g. if you used the key too often or the key is blacklisted,
16 > etc), you can reactivate Windows via a phone call to MS.
17 >
18 >> I *think* you get a grace period after that to re-activate your system but
19 >> it's been a while since I had that happen to me.
20 >
21 > Incidentally, I have this very situation in a virtual XP right now. Once that
22 > grace period is over, it shuts you out completely. When I try to log in it
23 > tells me that I need to activate it before I can log in. My choices are to
24 > either enter a key into a dialog or to not do so, in which case I get thrown
25 > back to the login screen. Neat, huh.
26 >
27 > Windows 7 gives you some more leeway, in that it lets you log in to your
28 > desktop, but IIRC the background is blackened and all you can open is IE to
29 > open the MS site or summit like that.
30 >
31 > There is a command which can rearm the 30 days counter at most twice, as long
32 > as it hasn't run out yet.
33
34 XP used to offer more leeway than you currently get, but there's a
35 nasty version dependency sequence where you need a newer version of
36 something (I forget what) in order to continue Windows Updates, but to
37 install that newer version, you need to satisfy WGA, which I believe
38 is the tool that forces you to activate before accessing a desktop.
39 Which means getting a fully patched system before entering a key is
40 difficult, if not impossible.
41
42 Where I work, it had been recommended to us that we use the grace
43 period to avoid burning our activation keys when we went to do testing
44 of our software. Having WGA and the "enter a key or forget about
45 logging in" misfeature land happened only a few weeks later. *sigh*
48 :wq