From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] webkit-gtk-2.18.6 failed (compile phase)
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 21:08:33
1 On March 15, 2018 8:57:53 PM UTC, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 >On 03/15/2018 12:29 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:40:13 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
6 >>>> * ERROR: net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.18.6::gentoo failed (compile
7 >phase):
8 >>>> * ninja -v -j5 -l8 failed
9 >>>
10 >>> One option that sometimes cures mysterious failures is to do the
11 >build
12 >>> with...
13 >>> MAKEOPTS="-j1"
14 >>> Yes, the build takes longer, but it may actually build. Remember
16 >>> set the option back to normal value after experimenting.
17 >>
18 >> You can set it on the command line for that build only
19 >>
20 >> MAKEOPTS="-j1" emerge whatever
21 >>
22 >> I too find that it can help builds that otherwise fail, even when it
23 >> doesn't, the make output gives a better idea of the failure point
24 >when
25 >> parallel builds are not cluttering it up.
26 >>
27 >> If the build log is that big, either compress it or just post the
28 >last
29 >> 100 lines. The error message you posted doesn't really say much more
30 >than
31 >> "it broke".
32 >
33 >Thanks Walter and Neil, Yes, that was the case not enough RAM,
34 >MAKEOPTS="-j1" fixed the problem.
35 >
36 >Though, it was sloooow. On Intel Quad core CPU and 4MB of RAM it took
37 >over 7-hours to compile it.
38 >I guess I need more RAM.
39 >
40 >--
41 >Thelma
42
43 I would recommend more RAM. (And no, that isn't a joke because you said you have 4MB. 4GB is also quite low these days. I only have 2 systems left with 16GB. One is my laptop. The other is the backup storage server. The rest all have more.
46 Joost
47 --
48 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.