From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tuning SCSI disks-App like hdparm available?
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:49:02
1 On 3/13/06, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com> wrote:
2 > I recently got a bunch of (old) scsi disks and would like to get the
3 > most out of them. They are 7200 18GB scsi disks which hdparm reports up
4 > to 18MB/s of transfer rate. (vs 30MB/s on my 5400 80GB laptop drive and
5 > 24MB/s on a 7200 200GB IDE Drive)
6 >
7 > I'm wondering if there are applications which can be used to tune the
8 > disks for better performance?
9
10 I don't think there is much tuning that can be done, other than
11 putting them in a RAID0 array. SCSI already does DMA, so as long as
12 they are attached to the fastest controller that the drives support,
13 you are probably maxed out on throughput.
14
15 BTW, 24MB/s on a 7200rpm 200G drive on an IDE channel seems very, very
16 low. That number should be more like 65MB/s. Unless this is actually
17 in a USB enclosure...
18
19 -Richard
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list