From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT - More Router Advice] Cheap Router with decent/reliable VLAN support
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 15:05:27
1 * Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com> [110528 20:17]:
2 > In linux.gentoo.user, Todd Goodman wrote:
3 > > * Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> [110528 12:43]:
4 > >> After seeing an older thread asking about a router, I figured I'd ask my
5 > >> own question...
6 > >>
7 > >> I'm looking for a cheap but reliable router that has decent and SIMPLE
8 > >> way to add VLANs (I'm not a CISCO guy and don't want to have to become
9 > >> one)...
10 > >>
11 > >> Specifically, I want to have one VLAN that my wireless access points are
12 > >> plugged into, to provide ONLY internet access, and then a separate VLAN
13 > >> for my internal network...
14 > >>
15 > >> This is to protect my internal net from any potentially infected
16 > >> machines that are on the wireless access points (I routinely work on
17 > >> infected computers for friends/family, so, I need internet access, but
18 > >> want them isolated from my internal network).
19 > >>
20 > >> Anyone? Will one of the FLOSS builds for the cheap Cable/DSL routers
21 > >> support VLANs on the different built-in router ports (ie, Tomato, DD-WRT
22 > >> or OpenWRT)?
23 > >>
24 > >> Looking forward to any suggestions/ideas...
25 > >
26 > > Hi, I'm pretty sure OpenWRT supports VLANs.
27 > >
28 > > I started using it on a Buffalo WHR-G300N (I think, not at home to check
29 > > right now.) Cheap and I didn't expect much but it works great (far
30 > > better than any Linksys or trendnet products I've purchased and run
31 > > their firmware on.)
32 >
33 > I'll second that. I run a Buffalo Nfiniti WZR-HP-G300NH with openwrt
34 > installed. It is VLAN capable and has Gigabyte ethernet and b/g/n wifi.
35 > It also has a USB socket for extra disk storage if needed (or any other
36 > peripheral you fancy). It just sits in the corner and does its job. It
37 > is also very cheap.
38 >
39 > --
40 > Regards,
41 > Gregory.
42
43 Thanks Gregory, I do have the WZR-HD-G300NH. Very cheap and works
44 great.
45
46 Todd