From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 2006 livecd (x86)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:53:29
1 On 6/30/06, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 > > > I just booted one up and I cannot su to root.
6 > > > It wants a passwd and I tried the usual suspects...
7 > > > The default user (gentoo) can issue (sudo) root commands?
8 > > > Certainly the gentoo user does not have the paths set such as
9 > > > root's paths would be set. I definately need the default root
10 > > > passwd to set the ip address (ifconfig) for a temporary test.
11 >
12 > > Have you tried "sudo su"? Or CTRL+F[1-6] and "passwd" because the
13 > > consoles are logged in automatically...
14 >
15 > Yes it sudo su works fine.
18 > > Are you using the 2006.0 and following the old guide? Because
19 > what you
20 > > refer is for manual install, you don't get the X system in
21 > this type
22 > > of install...
23 >
24 > I'm not trying to install a system, I'm using it for testing
25 > potential portables before purchase one. I'm following the
26 > guide directly off of www.gentoo.com "Updated May 28, 2006".
29 > > > Is the default passwd the same for amd64 livecd?
30 >
31 > > The password is scrambled for security reasons, you can change it...
32 >
33 > Hm, OK since I do (yet) have an amd64 system to test it on, I'm
34 > assuming
35 > the same 'sudo su' trick will work on a livecd for amd64? It's my
36 > first choice, as I go out and test portables.
37 >
38 > > > lspci is present, but 'lshw' is not. Is there a way to get
39 > lshw on
40 > > > usb memory device, so I can use to test out a new portable
41 > (no net connection)?
42 > > > Is there a way to include lshw on the installation CD?
43 > > > Any other suggestions for using a 2006 livecd for testing
44 > (potential) equipment?
45 >
46 > > Get a LiveCD that is designed for testing... The Gentoo one is for
47 > > Gentoo install.
48 > > I've used specially made Knoppix CDs for testing/fixing. There are
49 > > instructions on how to make your own Gentoo LiveCD at gentoo.org
50 > (you
51 > > can add whatever you want this way).
54 > Got a url to the iso immage? And a little documentation?
55 > Note, the livecd is very easy (dirt simple) to test with. Just
56 > boot it
57 > up and go root. Knoppix is something I do not have any experience
58 > with, nor can I imagine it is easier to use than Gentoo livecd,
59 > which only missing lshw, which would be extremely useful for
60 > hardware discovery for both testing and installation;
61 > ymmv.
62 >
63 > Of coarse if your testing cds have the ability to setup lm_sensors
64 > so one can test the low_level busses on portables, that would be
65 > a keen advantage.....
66 >
67 > Send me urls to the knoppix cds for testing of x86 and amd64
68 > and I'll give those a whirl tonight while shopping.....
69 >
70 > tia,
73 Googling: gentoo build livecd
74
75 Results:
76
77 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=57754
78 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_scratch
79 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD
80
81 (this should keep you busy for tonight ;)
82
83 I don't send knoppix links because you can find them at their site,
84 neither others cause you seem familiar with gentoo, so a livecd based
85 on gentoo would be better for you. With those links, you can build a
86 gentoo livecd with every tool you like (to the limit of CD-ROM space,
87 or pendrive space, anyway).
88
89 I'm pretty sure a better look at Wiki and the foruns would get you
90 TONS of info besides what I got.
93 Daniel da Veiga
94 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
100 --