From: Collin Starkweather <gentoo@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo User List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Bizarre SSH connection reset
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 14:00:34
1 To preface the question, I should mention that I'm currently residing
2 in China, so communication with the networking guys on this end is a
3 bit difficult because the communication algorithm typically begins,
4 "Step 1: Learn Chinese."
5
6 I am having difficulties with getting bumped out of an SSH connection
7 from a server in the U.S. with "Connection reset by peer" maybe 5-10
8 seconds after logging in.
9
10 It *only* occurs in my apartment; i.e., when I go to a local wifi
11 hotspot, I have no difficulties whatsoever. So I don't think it's
12 coming from my end, and I don't think it's coming from the server I'm
13 logging in to.
14
15 Some details:
16
17 1) To ensure that I'm not having problems with keepalives, I
18 configured SSHD on the other end very liberally (with some
19 impressively fast typing, if I do say so myself). In sshd_config, I
20 have
21
22 TCPKeepAlive no
23 ClientAliveInterval 15
24 ClientAliveCountMax 12
25
26 2) I then set ethereal running. Just as I got bumped, it indicated
27
28 Source Destination Protocol Info
29 (the server) (my laptop) TCP 22 > 1259 [RST, ACK] Seq=5357
30 Ack=4037 Win=63856 Len=0
31
32 I'm not a networking guy, but I think that means a reset packet is
33 being sent, ostensibly from the server.
34
35 3) When I get bumped, ssh -vvv gives the following
36
37 debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
38 debug3: channel 0: status: The following connections are open:
39 #0 client-session (t4 r0 i0/0 o0/0 fd 4/5 cfd -1)
40 debug3: channel 0: close_fds r 4 w 5 e 6 c -1
41 Read from remote host www.bogusdomain.com: Connection reset by peer
42 Connection to www.bogusdomain.com closed.
43 debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 126 bytes in 17.1 seconds
44 debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 7.4
45 debug1: Exit status -1
46
47 If the reset is not coming from the server or the client (I don't have
48 any problems when I'm at a hotspot), where could it be coming from?
49
50 Thanks in advance,
51
52 -Collin