From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Precedence order of overlays
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:14:04
1 On Friday 02 February 2007, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > > I have several packages that I maintain my own ebuilds for, as it's
3 > > CVS sources. I keep these in /usr/local/portage. As it happens
4 > > ebuilds for these same packages are also in layman, and I have the
5 > > relevant overlay enabled.
6 > >
7 > > So far it would appear that my local overlay is taking precedence
8 > > over layman. I've read the layman docs and there is an option for
9 > > precedence, but it seems to apply to layman only, and that's not
10 > > what I want. The portage docs seems to be sparse on this matter of
11 > > overlays.
12 > >
13 > > I want to guarantee that foo-9999.ebuild in /usr/local/portage will
14 > > be emerged in preference to an identically named and versioned
15 > > ebuild in layman. How do I do that?
16 >
17 > If several overlays contain the same version of an ebuild portage
18 > will only see the one from the overlay that is listed last in
19 > PORTDIR_OVERLAY. This is why /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf
20 > prepends layman overlays to PORTDIR_OVERLAY rather than appending
21 > them.
22
23 Excellent, this is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.
24
25 > > If I can't guarantee this, I'd also be happy bumping my ebuilds to
26 > > foo-99999.ebuild, but I'd rather do it with a config option if
27 > > possible.
28 >
29 > Do note that portage will consider e.g. foo-20050101.ebuild a higher
30 > version than foo-9999.ebuild.
31
32 Why is that? Because 20050101 is a bigger number than 9999? If so, it's
33 not a problem, as the ebuilds don't use version numbers formatted that
34 way
35
36 alan
40 Optimists say the glass is half full,
41 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
42 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
43
44 Alan McKinnon
45 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
46 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list